for your Visit
Five Mile House Foundation
Area Tourist Attractions
Locate Attractions on a
State Historic Site
400 South Lincoln Highway
Lincoln Log Cabin Historic Site was the 1840’s home of Thomas and Sarah
Bush Lincoln, father and stepmother of our 16th president. The
site includes a working, living historic farm developed around a two-room
cabin. A second farmstead, the Stephen Sargent Farm, has been moved to the
site to help broaden visitors’ understanding of the 1840’s rural life in
Illinois. Both offer an array
of interpretive programs. Call the site for a current calendar of events.
Special group tours available by appointment.
Lincoln Highway Road, 1 mile West of Lincoln Log Cabin
Many visit this cemetery to see the burial site of Abraham Lincoln’s
father and stepmother, Thomas Lincoln and Sarah Bush Lincoln.
State Historic Site
Lincoln Highway Road, 1
mile north of Lincoln Log Cabin
Located just one mile north of Lincoln Log Cabin, the Moore Home is the
1860’s home of Abraham Lincoln stepsister, Matilda Hall Moore and the
location of President-elect Lincoln’s last visit with his
County family on
January 31, 1861.
Lincoln Springs is currently closed.
9699 North Co. Road, 2000 East
3 Miles East of
IL Highway 16
Toll Free - (877) 770-0ABE (0223)
Stop in to see the world
tallest Abraham Lincoln statue in Abe's Garden! Lincoln Springs Resort
currently offers the Stovepipe Grill & Smokehouse, Ultimate Miniature
Golf, The Game Nexus, banquet & meeting facilities, double-decker bus &
trolley and spring fed lakes for fishing and boating.
Attractions Include Family Cabins, RV & Primitive Campsites, Swimming
Pool, Bumper Boats, Paintball, Exotic Petting Zoo, Go Karts, DUCK Tours
and much more!
back to the top
Downtown Square has been
the site of the
County seat since
1835. As a young lawyer, Abraham Lincoln practiced law in a previous
version of the courthouse. Today, the late 19th century
Romanesque courthouse sits at the center of the square. Historic buildings
display stunning architectural details and serve as home to current
professional offices, unique shops and restaurants.
416 West Madison Ave.
Tour the only museum in
Illinois retracing the
senatorial debates of 1858 between Abraham Lincoln and Stephan
Douglas. The museum offers exhibits and interactive displays that tell
the debates’ story through film, audio selections, artifacts and photos.
The museum also includes a children’s hands-on area and a gift shop.
Docents may be available at various times. Special group tours available
Courthouse Square Area
The Charleston Square features 7 different historical murals painted on
the sides of buildings located on and around the square. The mural
shown to the right is of Abraham Lincoln saying goodbye to his
stepmother Sarah Bush Lincoln and is located on the Charleston Chamber
of Commerce building at the corner of 5th and Jackson. All the
murals are pictured and described at the the above Charleston Tourism
Riot Historic Marker
The Civil War spread to
Charleston when a
face-to-face encounter took place between southern sympathizers called
“copperheads”, Union soldiers and citizens who favored the Lincoln
Administration. An artistic mural of the rendition can be seen one block
west of the Historic Marker at the corner of
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this Queen Anne-style
house illustrates the lives of an established and affluent family in a
rural Midwestern town in the early twentieth century. Serving as home to
the Coles County Historical Society, the Dudley House Museum contains the
original woodwork and furnishing from the 1920s and 1940s.
9th and Hayes Avenue
This authentic one-room school house offers visitors a look at how
education was taught from 1895-1945. Special group tours available by
Madison and ‘E’ Street
the graves of
Charleston’s earliest residents among which
Lincoln’s extended family,
local friends and victims of the 1864 Charleston Riot. The cemetery sits
across the street from the
home to more than 12,000 students, is well known for its excellence in
academics, the arts and athletics. Founded in 1895, the beautiful campus
provides diverse architectural styles that reflect the university’s
City of Mattoon
back to the top
208 N. 19 Street
town is named for William Mattoon, who helped construct the Terre Haute
and Alton Railroad. The projected junction of this rail line with the
Illinois Central in 1854 convinced local settlers that the land was an
ideal site for a community and Mattoon was founded. The railroads
caused it to grow rapidly and the town had more than 100 buildings by
The Thomas Lincoln family
first settled in Coles County in 1831 on a farm about three miles south of
the future site of Mattoon, then another farm southeast of town before
moving to Pleasant Grove Township in 1837. Mattoon's prosperity is due to
it's manufacturing, oil and the rich farmland that surrounds it
Mattoon Welcome Center
Mattoon Welcome Center is housed in the historic Peterson House which
dates to ca. 1870. It is located in Peterson Park which features the
Mattoon Light Works in December each year.
1920 Broadway Ave.
217) 235-6744 or (217) 345-2934
The Central Illinois Railroad Depot was completed in January of 1918 and
was the seat of local train travel for 35 years. From 10-14 trains a day
arrived and departed from the Depot through the 1950s. Amtrak was created
by Congress in 1971 and currently makes six stops a day at the Depot.
Amtrak, however, does not own the building and it has deteriorated, so in
2001, a committee was formed to save and restore the Depot. It has
since been listed on the Register of Historic Places and a new tile roof
has been added.
Restoration of the Depot will accomplish a number of purposes including
preservation of a historic building and local railroad history,
contributing to the redevelopment of downtown Mattoon, providing high
speed railroad service to the area, and providing a location for a museum
on Coles County and Railroad history.
Hart Nature Center
2204 DeWitt Ave. East
is located on DeWitt Avenue
East at the eastern edge of Mattoon, Illinois. The Center was established
by Helen Douglas-Hart in the late 1960s to recreate and maintain three
native habitats of Illinois-- the prairie, deciduous forest, and wetland
- as they appeared before intensive use by modern humans. The Center has
been offering quality environmental education programs to the public,
schools and private groups for more than 10 years.
back to the top
Depot and Welcome Center
off Interstate 57, Arcola marks the entrance to Illinois Amish Country and is known as
the "broomcorn capital
of the world" with its renowned Broom Corn Festival every year the weekend
after Labor Day. Arcola is home to the world famous Lawn Rangers who
recently marched in the inauguration parade and is also the birthplace of
Johnny Gruelle, creator of Raggedy Ann and Andy. The Raggedy Ann and Andy Museum
downtown commemorates the legendary pair and their creator.
Arcola's historic downtown is lined
with stately buildings and its original brick street. You'll find a host
of unique shops that offer shoppers opportunities to purchase art,
antiques, locally made Amish baked goods and hand crafted Amish furniture.
And before heading out the countryside, head to the Amish Interpretive
Center downtown to learn more about the history and heritage of the local
With that knowledge in mind, you'll
find a trip out of town to be more than a breath of fresh, country air.
Farming styles are diverse: everything from the latest in farming
technology for planting and harvesting to the the horse-drawn machinery of
Amish farmers. Douglas County is home to Illinois' largest Old Order Amish
settlement. The rural area is lined with Amish homes, businesses, and
schools, plus horse-drawn buggies.
It is now named the Illinois Amish
Museum and has been moved to Rockome Gardens
The Illinois Amish Interpretive Center
houses a 10,000 square foot museum focusing on the Amish religion and
lifestyle. Exhibits include buggies, barns, homes, quilts, weddings,
Anabaptist history and a changing exhibit area. The Center also houses
an introductory video that was produced locally about the Illinois
Ann & Andy Museum
The museum is closed - its gift shop is n
located at Rockome Gardens
The Johnny Gruelle Raggedy Ann & Andy Museum opened
to the public in May of 1999, in Arcola, Illinois. We are the only
officially licensed Raggedy Ann & Andy museum in the world! The
mission of the Johnny Gruelle Raggedy Ann and Andy Museum is to preserve
the life and times of the man who created the storybook characters, and to
promote the inspiration, values, and spirit of imagination that has made
them an American institution for so many years.
125 N County Rd 425 E, Arcola
Located five miles west of
Arcola, Illinois, Rockome Gardens features beautiful gardens and
rockwork, interesting attractions, a variety of shopping opportunities,
various dining experiences and a full slate of interesting special
events. Visitors will see Amish craftsman producing and selling
Amish goods or can enjoy a train ride, or carriage ride. The Rockome Restaurant features
Amish buffet meals and a
pleasant country atmosphere.
back to the top