Archaeological digs were conducted at the Five Mile House before restoration
was completed by students from the Eastern Illinois University Historical
Administration Program. It was supervised by Dr. Bailey Young, Professor of
History at EIU and FMH Committee member and Dr. Nora Pat Small, Professor of
History and Chair of the Historical Administration Program.
Work was conducted on the ground areas beneath
the floors in the front rooms before the floors were replaced and in the
area of the kitchen ell before it was reconstructed. A number of
interesting artifacts and features were discovered that help in telling the
story of the Five Mile House. Some notable finds include:
WEST FIREPLACE - The foundation for a fireplace at the west end of the
west room was discovered indicating that the original house had fireplaces
on both ends. The metal bar that would have held the bricks in place over
the fireplace opening was also discovered. More information on this
can be found in the Read the House section.
ANDIRONS - Original andirons were discovered which were subsequently
restored by local
blacksmith, Lorelei Simms. These are now in use in the east room
1867 CHARLESTON PARLOR STOVE - Broken pieces of an old parlor stove were
discovered around the site. These were also taken to Lorelei Simms who
restored the stove to its original appearance. It was made by the Bain
Iron Works in Charleston, Illinois and has a patent date of 1867 on it.
Below are pictures of the archaeological work
and some of the artifacts discovered: